Background © RoughLady & Sverst

What are you listening to?

TheTiger

Community Manager
Staff member
🎶 In Upendiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 🎶
Share your latest musical discoveries! Favorite bands, albums, tracks, artists. You name it, you share it.

TheTiger

Community Manager
Staff member
My favorite genre of music is easily game and movie soundtracks. I listen to those more than anything else. Recently I've been into two in particular.

First I found that some absolute legend on YouTube has been remastering the music from the Donkey Kong Country games. Donkey Kong Country 2 in particular is basically my entire childhood, so hearing these tunes remastered by hand is so freaking amazing. I'll share my favorite track from these games, but all of the tracks made by this guy are worth a listen to if Donkey Kong Country was ever a part of your life.

And secondly, staying with the theme of remasters, with the release of Command & Conquer Remastered came a slew of amazing new music from Frank Klepacki and The Tiberian Sons. There is a lot of good stuff on there, like the two remastered Tiberian Sun soundtracks (Dusk Hour and Mad Rap), but my favorite at the moment is the remixed No Mercy.

Alco

Pridelander
My favorite genre of music is easily game and movie soundtracks. I listen to those more than anything else. Recently I've been into two in particular.

First I found that some absolute legend on YouTube has been remastering the music from the Donkey Kong Country games. Donkey Kong Country 2 in particular is basically my entire childhood, so hearing these tunes remastered by hand is so freaking amazing. I'll share my favorite track from these games, but all of the tracks made by this guy are worth a listen to if Donkey Kong Country was ever a part of your life.

And secondly, staying with the theme of remasters, with the release of Command & Conquer Remastered came a slew of amazing new music from Frank Klepacki and The Tiberian Sons. There is a lot of good stuff on there, like the two remastered Tiberian Sun soundtracks (Dusk Hour and Mad Rap), but my favorite at the moment is the remixed No Mercy.

I share your passion! These compositions are very unique in feeling. I really appreciate you introducing the work of Sam Miller. The ending track you shared in particular is so peaceful and new, I felt like I was listening to it for the first time again. I am not as familiar with Command and Conquer but I liked the track you shared for it. There's a lot of tension and call to action with this one. I loved the guitar strings mixed in. It all set the mood so well. I'll be listening to more from Klepacki and Tiberian Sons. They're stellar!

TheTiger

Community Manager
Staff member
I'll be listening to more from Klepacki and Tiberian Sons. They're stellar!
They did an amazing set at MagFest which kind of sparked all the remixes. Love to rewatch this every so often, though of course it has more value if you actually know the games a bit.

Magicat

Staff member
Probably my favorite cover of this song :

it's regularly in my playlists, and always makes me happy when it comes on 🙂!

Magicat

Staff member
So I periodically go to Renaissance Festivals and typically enjoy the music that various groups have around the fair. I was technically looking for some videos of that, but youtube has informed me that there is a new trend of "Medieval Style Covers" of pop songs, like this gem:

I hope you enjoy! There are others, if you care to join me down that rabbit hole. 🙃

Sarku

Administrator
Staff member
Uhh perfect topic xD

Never really played Donkey Kong or C&C but that remastered version of Donkey Kong sounds really nice :D

So I periodically go to Renaissance Festivals and typically enjoy the music that various groups have around the fair. I was technically looking for some videos of that, but youtube has informed me that there is a new trend of "Medieval Style Covers" of pop songs, like this gem:
Oh that's interesting, never really listened to something like that - and it's not too bad. It's actually kinda nice and way better than the original (I'm really not a fan of Lady Gaga and such ...)

Well, to not make this post too long I'll just concentrate on the thing I'm currently listening the most (which might be due the fact, that this was the last concert/event I attented before lockdown >.<)
Hollywood Undead

I'm not really a Hip Hop fan (although there are quite some nice works in that genre too of course) but I love that "weird" mix of Rock, Metal and Hip Hop that Hollywood Undead (HU) delivers. Their songs are really varying (they have 5-6 different singers btw) and are often powerful and/or emotional, which is the most important thing for me: Music either moves your ass or your soul 😄 If it does both at the same time it's just perfect (that's why I really love Techno).
And Hollywood Undead does that with a lot of songs for me. Not all tho - I'm mostly not a fan of "happy" or "party" songs, you know ... songs about partying, drinking, sex, etc without any deeper sense (I often even really dislike such songs xD) - and on their ealier releases they had quite some of such tracks too, but it got better with later releases xD
Hard to pick a favorit, but I think I'll go with "S.C.A.V.A." for now

Oh and maybe with "Lion", just because yeah ... xD

As an audiophile I'm kinda disappointed that most of my beloved genres and bands sadly don't deliver great quality - but the happier I am, when they do it anyway xD And HU released their "Day Of The Dead" album as 24bit/48kHz release and I have to say: for that kind of music it's really nicely mastered ( missing some bass tho, but with the proper equipment you can re-adjust that x) ), it does sound really clean and detailed, love it, a real pleasure to listen to ...
In the next post I'll probably will enthuse about the quality of Five Finger Death Punch ... So stay tuned x'D

Magicat

Staff member
I'm not really a Hip Hop fan (although there are quite some nice works in that genre too of course) but I love that "weird" mix of Rock, Metal and Hip Hop that Hollywood Undead (HU) delivers.
I‘d never heard of them, it is a unique blending of music. I’m not sure if Im sold on it yet, but I‘ll listen to more to see :)

DanielArtaxes

Pridelander
Personally I am a big Classic/Hard rock fan. I like a lot of the stuff from the 60s-80s. Gun's N' Roses, AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are a few favorites.

One of my favorites by Pink Floyd I have to sing every time I hear it. (I am a horrible singer)

One of the best songs if you're feeling down

I also like some Punk/Pop Punk like Rise Against, American Hi-Fi, Blink 182, Green Day, and others.

For my furries

One of my favorites

Then there is Flogging Molly

Some weird ones like the Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffet

Finally sometimes I enjoy some country too, Toby Keith, Garth Brooks, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Dixie Chicks, Lone Star

I am sure there is a bunch I am missing but that is a pretty good selection for me!

Sarku

Administrator
Staff member
I‘d never heard of them, it is a unique blending of music. I’m not sure if Im sold on it yet, but I‘ll listen to more to see :)
Yep, I don't know anyone who had heard of them before xD The more I was surprised to hear one of their songs from some kids' phone as they walked down my street xD
I'd be interested in what you think about them after you listened to some more, but I know they're kinda special, so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get hooked on them xD

@DanielArtaxes that's a nice selection - Quite a fan of Pink Floyd too, especially because of their sound design and quality. I love the intro to "Welcome To The Machine" with the right equipment it's quite an interesting experience x)

My favorite album would be "The Division Bell" - I think a lot of fans say it's not really Pink Floyd anymore, but I love it :D

Uuhh an Rise Against veeeery very nice :D Still want to see these boys live. They have so many great songs: Savior of course :D Prayer Of The Refugee, The Good Left Undone, Re-Education (damn I love that x) ) and Make It Stop to name a few

DanielArtaxes

Pridelander
@Sarku Welcome to the machine is a great song, I think I have to say that The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album. I know that is the easy, common answer, but it is the first Album I ever listened to as an album all the way through, and I really loved it, I loved the story, the message, the songs, everything. If you haven't seen it I really recommend DripRats comic of the whole album. Listening to the album and reading the comic at the same time is amazingly powerful. https://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/driprat/folder/94387/The-Wall/3/?

Make it Stop and Prayer of the Refugee are another two great songs, they have so many good songs: Paper Wings, Worth Dying For, Rumors of my Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated, Their cover of Anyway you Want it. For as many albums as they have they have done a great job of consistently making good music!

Sarku

Administrator
Staff member
@Sarku Welcome to the machine is a great song, I think I have to say that The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album. I know that is the easy, common answer, but it is the first Album I ever listened to as an album all the way through, and I really loved it, I loved the story, the message, the songs, everything. If you haven't seen it I really recommend DripRats comic of the whole album. Listening to the album and reading the comic at the same time is amazingly powerful. https://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/driprat/folder/94387/The-Wall/3/?
Oh that looks interesting, definitely will do that, thanks :D

Make it Stop and Prayer of the Refugee are another two great songs, they have so many good songs: Paper Wings, Worth Dying For, Rumors of my Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated, Their cover of Anyway you Want it. For as many albums as they have they have done a great job of consistently making good music!
Yepp, I can only agree to that :D

TheTiger

Community Manager
Staff member
The mad lad finally did it. Here's the restored version of Nuts & Bolts, from Donkey Kong Country 3. Easily the best track in the game, which took the longest to restore because he couldn't find one of the samples. People have been comparing it to Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not familiar enough with their music to judge, so judge for yourself I guess?

Meowz

New in the Pridelands
Stuff and genres that I like. :)
Incoming: highly subjective diamonds in the rough.
Maybe I'll list more sometimes, thank you for yours.

Retro?

Dancin'!

In no particular order.